Sunday, November 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Mommy!!!

(She is going to kill me for putting up the picture. It is one of my favorites.)

I have a few fond memories of my mom I would like to share:

My love of British comedy....my mom's fault. I came home one night from babysitting, my dad was working late, and my mom was up watching Fawlty Towers. It happened to be the episode when John Cleese's car breaks down, and he beats it with a tree branch while yelling "You naughty, naughty car". I almost fell off the bed laughing. I was hooked. I love Ab Fab, Keeping up Appearances, Red Dwarf, Monty Python, My Hero, Are You Being Served, and on and on. Thanks Mom!!

My father had said I could pierce my ears when I was 12, so on my 12th birthday my mom and I went to Salt Lake City to get my ears pierced. (I guess there wasn't any reputable ear piercing place in Evanston Wyoming at the time) I remember when we were driving through the mall parking structure my mom saying she couldn't see a thing, and I asked her if it was because she was still wearing her sunglasses. Well we got my ears pierced, wandered through the mall, and then went to the food court for mint brownies. It was a fun day. When you have six siblings you don't get too much mom and daughter time, but on this particular day it was her and I.

Another time when I was a senior in high school my mom and I were feeling "pale" so she stayed home from work and I stayed home from school. On that day we went to Salzer's to rent videos and then went to Vons to raid the deli. We watched Willow, and ate junk food. That was a great day.

For some reason I just remembered the naked neighbor. You can ask her about him.

My mom would read aloud to us for as long as I can remember. There was The Great Brain series, The Lion, Witch, & The Wardrobe, The Belgariad, and of course the Scriptures. Thanks mom!

There are many more, but that would take many days so I will say once again Happy Birthday Mom, I love you & New Caaa! New Caaa!


2 comments:

Wade & Kati Allen said...

Happy Birthday Mom! Maybe she is older than dirt now!!! Good Times! Good Times!!

ybanezfam said...

OK, now I have to ask about the naked neighbor????