Monday, November 10, 2008

One of my favorite places is....

.... The Huntington Library, Art Collections, & Botanical Gardens in San Marino. I would like to thank Teri for introducing it to me. It is such a beautiful place. There are museums, and of course gardens. They have a desert garden, bamboo garden, rose garden, and many more. My personal favorite is the Japanese Garden. It is incredible. I can't describe the peaceful feeling that comes over me when I am there.

I told Jeff about the Huntington when we were dating, and he was interested in going. (We have a lot of museum dates, good thing we both like museums) Anyway on a lovely day in 2007 we went to the gardens. I was so excited to show him the Japanese Garden. We were walking through the garden, and when we got to the bridge he had to stop and tie his shoe, (he had cleverly untied it without me noticing), after he did that he said "Since I am down here......." I can't remember what he said beyond that because he was putting an engagement ring on my finger. I think he formally asked me to marry him, and I think I said yes. I must have since we've been married for a year a half now. I still get a dumb grin on my face when I think about how romantic it was, and how he picked a spot that is special for me.

The Huntington is also special because my dad's parents have also been there. My grandfather was born in New York, and my grandmother in New Jersey. They moved to California shortly after they were married in 1938, and lived in Whittier. Last year my mom gave me a couple of scrapbooks that belonged to my grandmother, and as I was going through them I came across pictures of them and my Great Grandma Nehr in the Japanese Garden. My grandfather passed away about 4 years before I was born so I was excited to find out I have been to a place he visited.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.
August 2008
June 1939

Rose Garden - June 1939Rose Garden

Shakespeare Garden
Zen Garden
Lily Ponds
Jungle Garden Desert Garden

Japanese Garden -June 1939Japanese Garden 2008This is the spot where Jeff proposed to me.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

When are you taking me there???

return of the loser said...

hey gretchen it's me todd i'd like to say hey and very nice pictures

jenibug said...

Hi Gretchen! It's a voice from the past, Jennifer "Young" McDonald. I love your blog!

Wade & Kati Allen said...

Gretch that is AWESOME! When do I get copies of those scrap book pictures? I know exactly where I would put some of them up!!!

ybanezfam said...

love it, love it, love it!!!

Teri said...

Gretch, the pics made me "homesick". The Huntington is one of the things I truly miss. I'm glad I was able to share it with you!!! Love ya, Teri